Essentials and outfits than can get you through any week.
How many times do you wake up on Monday morning and think, “Ugh. I do not want to get dressed. Can’t I just wear yoga pants?” How many times do you feel sluggish the rest of the day when you DO give into this Monday morning request?
The name of the game is Look good feel good, I’m going to lay out some ways you can conquer Mondays effortlessly (and the rest of the week for that matter).
First things first- let’s make an essentials list.
1. Leggings and Jeans. Contrary to popular belief, leggings can be worn as pants. You just have to do it right, but we’ll get into that later. Also, having a few pairs of jeans that are so unbelievably comfy you could sleep in them is the best. The easiest silhouettes to style are definitely skinnies, but if you’re feeling adventurous, try a pair of boyfriend jeans. Their looser fit makes them extra daytime chic.
2. The basic T-shirt/Easy tops. Look for a slouchier longer length white tee- the longer length is what makes it wearable with leggings. Ta da! This will be your best friend when you’re running late. Second, try a classic printed tee like black and white stripes. A thinner knit in a stripe is also easy to style.
3. Cozy Sweaters. You know exactly what I’m talking about. The sort-of oversized pullover, ultra soft, chunky knit sweater will get you through Hump Day faster than you can write down your history homework. Also, a cardigan is always an essential. Keep a neutral color palette in mind when shopping for sweaters. As much as you want the neon pink one, you know it’s going to be pushed to the back of your closet. Cream, black, navy, and grey sweaters get lots more love.
4. Coats/Jackets. (This may or may not be my favorite category.) Changing up your outwear can give a completely different feel to your outfits. My top three picks would be a leather jacket, a trench coat, and my “trendy” pick would be a utility jacket. You’d be surprised how many things go with army green!
5. A dress. Pick a casual dress that you feel great in. It’s a one-stop shop outfit- you can throw on and walk out the door. Hint: Jersey knit is a super comfy material. Little black dresses don’t always have to be for evening!
6. Shoes, shoes, shoes! Ah, a girl’s weakness. We’re in the middle of the best season- boot season! Ditch those Uggs every day and experiment a little! From riding boots, to ankle booties, to combat boots- your choices nowadays are pretty much unlimited. Also, nude flats go perfectly with anything! Trust me: I wear mine at least 3 times a week.
7. Key accessories. A simple watch and some stud earrings and you’re good to go! But… have fun with scarves and hats! In the fall and winter it can be hard to not be stuck in a fashion rut, but just playing around with something as simple as a different scarf can be the easiest way to spice up an outfit.
8. Miscellaneous: Pick two bags that you can interchange. A backpack is an obvious choice, but larger structured totes/purses make great school bags!
Now this is the fun part- Five “stylespiration”outfits of the week.
- Half the battle on Mondays is figuring out what to wear… you can’t go wrong when you start with a white tee and leggings.
- Tuesday Tip: feeling adventurous? Play with shoes. Add a pop of color with a fun flat or mix patterns with a leopard loafer. And yes, leopard is a neutral.
- The leather panel on these leggings adds instant edge to a basic piece! Don’t be afraid to mix neutrals. There’s just something I find really refreshing about light tan and light grey together. Add a leather jacket if it’s chilly.
- Maybe it’s just me, but Thursdays aren’t my favorite. You can get into that “is it Friday yet?” mood. Finding comfort in your favorite graphic tee and a cardi creates a cozy combo that can make a day fly by!
- You made it! It’s Friday. Why not feel fabulous after a long week? Sweater dresses are both weather appropriate and adorable. Black tights add extra warmth for these chilly November days!
So there you have it. Being well dressed doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice comfort! Put your hair up in an easy pony, pat some concealer under those tired eyes and let your lashes do the talking with a little mascara. On goes your trench coat and you’re ready to conquer your day stylishly.
(Photo source: Polyvore)